Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Also Noteworthy--the Atheist becomes a Theist

I know I'm a bit behind on this, but if I don't include it, I'll have omitted history. Renowned atheist Anthony Flew, famous among Evangelicals for his debates with Christian apologist Gary Habermas, has recently announced he is no longer an atheist. This is no admission that he is a Christian, however. Rather, he is a self-proclaimed deist.
I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins. . . . It could be a person in the sense of a being that has intelligence and a purpose, I suppose.
The transcript from one of the debates between Habermas and Flew ended up as a published book: Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? (ed. by Terry L. Miethe. San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1987). It's a compelling read, and I highly recommend it.