Wednesday, July 26, 2006

New Testament Reflections: Phil 1:19-26 (part 2)



Philippians 1:19-26 (part 2)

Paul's Mindset

NASB: 19 For I know that this shall turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I shall not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ shall even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. 23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24 yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. 25 And convinced of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again.

Literal: 19 For I know that this for me will result into salvation, through your petition and the supply from the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 corresponding to my deep desire and hope that I will be made ashamed in nothing, but in every boldness, now as always, Christ will be enlarged/magnified in my body, whether through life or death. 21 For to me, to live is [nothing other than] Christ, and to die is [nothing less than] gain. 22 Now, if [I continue] to live in the flesh, this [will mean] fruit of labor for me. And what I shall prefer I do not know. 23 Now, I am torn out of the two, having the longing to depart and to be with Christ, for that is better by far; 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary because of you. 25 And convinced of this I know that I will remain and will continue with all of you with a view to your progress and joy in the faith 26 in order that your ground of boasting may overflow in Christ Jesus, by me, through my coming to you again.

Commentary
1:19 Paul had informed his readers in v. 18 that he rejoices (present tense) over the fact that Christ is proclaimed even while he sits in prison. Moreover, he will rejoice (future tense). What is the occasion for this latter reference to rejoicing? It is that Paul knows this situation will turn out for his deliverance. The NASB and NIV convey the notion that what is in Paul’s mind here is his release from prison, as though it is now certain in Paul’s mind (“I know”) that his release is imminent, and that certainty is backed both by the Philippian’s prayers and Christ’s provision.

But that is out of step with what comes next. Paul goes on to indicate that he is still uncertain about his fate. He informs us that he wants to magnify Christ “whether by life or by death” (v. 20); that he prefers to die and to be with Christ (v. 21-23), and that he wants the Philippians to continue their life in Christ “whatever happens” (v. 27). At the end of the day, as many indications as Paul gives of the prospect of his sure release from prison and eventual return to Philippi, there are just as many indications that things still may go the other way for him.

Moreover, the Greek word translated “deliverance” in the NASB is literally “salvation” (soteria). In the seventeen instances of this word found throughout Paul’s letters, it is never elsewhere translated “deliverance,” and should not be so translated here. Paul says (quite literally), “For I know that this for me will result into salvation, through your petition and the supply from the Spirit of Jesus Christ.” If not deliverance from prison, what “salvation” does Paul have in mind? It seems certain that Paul is here referring to his death and subsequent glorification. The word salvation/saved is an umbrella term under which many aspects of our salvation fall. When Scripture uses the past tense, “you have been saved,” it usually refers to our justification. When it uses the present tense, “you are being saved,” it usually refers to our ongoing sanctification. When it uses the future tense, “you will be saved,” it usually refers to the glorification of our bodies in heaven. Paul has the latter in mind. Both the prayers of the Philippians and the supply from the Spirit of Jesus Christ will aid Paul in that event. Anyone on the course to death for his faith is in need of both of these.

1:20 Paul’s anticipated “salvation” is according to [or, corresponding to] his earnest expectation [literally, deep desire] and hope; namely, that he will be made ashamed in nothing during his trial. Standing before the Roman emperor, a man possessing full control over whether you live or die, must have been an intimidating prospect for Paul. It is easy to see how, once standing before the court, Paul might begin to second guess himself, and might begin to waver in his resolve to preach the gospel in every boldness. Paul’s deepest desire was that he would not backpedal or be ashamed in anyway, but that Christ would be magnified (literally, enlarged) through his testimony, whether that would result in Paul’s spared life (and his subsequent release), or his death. Paul’s singular fear in all this was not the prospect of death; it was the prospect that he might perform this service in such a way as not to magnify Christ.