Friday, May 13, 2005

Pastor Resigns Amid Church Discipline Controversy

Some of you may have read about this already. I've gotten behind in some of the news items due to my recent series on the Lord's Supper. In any case Chan Chandler, pastor of East Waynesville Baptist Church in Waynseville North Carolina, resigned on May 10 amid controversy surrounding his decision to perform church discipline on a few members of his church who voted for John Kerry or against G.W. Bush in the last election. Here are a couple of analysis pieces on it: One by Albert Mohler, the other by Waylan Owens, a former professor of Chandler.

I don't know enough of the details surrounding this situation to make a firm judgment on whether I would agree with the pastor in his decision. However, the ousted members have filed a lawsuit against the pastor for his actions, and I can make a judgment about that action (1 Corinthians 6).